The poor Internet connectivity on GIJ Campus is a worry to some of us

Being a Leader isn't easy, I must confess. I commend H.E. Madugu and his team for taken up the task as leaders of our ; noble Institution.



I chanced upon a communiqué on GIJ SRC (OFFICIAL) Group on Facebook, dated, 16 April, 2016 at 22:16 GMT with the caption, "MADUGU’S FOUR POINTS MESSAGE OF HOPE!!"

As at that time, I was still 'warming up' to be part of the biggest educational community, which is the Ghana Institute of Journalism. An extract from that communiqué caught my attention; Point 2 under the Academic Development depicts the emergence of a strong Internet Service (Wi-Fi), which should arguably be faster than Usain Bolt of Jamaica. A good news for the Student then, I sighed. However, this isn't the case. The Internet service on Campus is slower than the word 'slower', making life difficult for most students on Campus.

Somewhere last Semester, I sat 'under' the Canopy, to download a 15MB PDF on Logic and Critical Thinking. Due to the slow nature of the WI-FI, I left the phone with a friend, walked to Food Joint, located right after the G.F.A. Office, proceeded to the Parliament House, and came back to Campus, only to check my download; 17% Complete." Like seriously?

I was shocked, and had to console myself by borrowing data from my network provider, in order to complete the download process. Someone will quiz, "What if your friend had interrupted the download?" Trust, she had no idea about the PIN to unlock my phone, not to think of 'navigating' through the Download Folder.

I have carefully observed a trend on Campus, where students raise their phones in a funny manner wherever they find themselves on Campus. Initially, I thought it was a new style of taking 'Selfies', but upon further probings, I have realised that, it is new way of getting Internet Service in order to access the World Wide Web.

A self acclaimed 'Dugu Soldier' rudely rebuked me sometime ago for sharing my displeasure with regards to the poor Internet connectivity on Campus. He suggested to me that, I should be early on Campus if I'm serious about using the Internet, or else be mute about it. Sosket!

The best 'defensive strategy' from the 'Soldier' was that; The large number of students on GIJ contribute to making the WI-FI slow. I went like 'WOW'

Was the Soldier actually suggesting that; Students should always leave their homes/hostel, as early as 04:00am or 05:00am to Campus, purposely to use the WI-FI for their assignments?

Honestly, I wouldn't buy such an idea.

If you can, please take an 'inquisitive trip' to schools such as the Sunyani Polytechnic, and compare their population to that of GIJ. Despite their large number, the Internet connectivity in that school is super faster. I'm able to access their WI-FI in the comfort of my home. I know what I'm saying.

Frankly speaking, most GIJ students are complaining about this problem. Others are mute, since they strongly believe that, nothing can be done solve this issue. Students are eager to stay on Campus to research and complete their assignments, but the schools WI-FI wouldn't help them.

This situation is worrying.


  • But, I urge H.E. Benjamin Madugu and his team to find a quick 'antidote' to this issue. They should go in for other Internet Service Providers, if that will solve the issue on board. This will enable students to find things much more easier on Campus.


"We have to benefit from what we pay for."

© Nambe Patrick

Post a Comment

0 Comments